I'm not even back at work and I'm already busy. There are certain thing I'd like to do every day, yet even on days like this when I don't have the distraction of work I still can't seem to find time. Do I have unrealistic expectations about what can and should be accommplished in one day? Do I have to give myself a limit to my daily to do list? I suppose that is a reasonable idea. There are few things that NEED to be done today or tomorrow, but should I always be putting things off for tomorrow?
Jack Layton died yesterday. A man who had done so much for our country and still had so much more he wanted to do. I wonder if on hos deathbed he or his wife thought he should have spent more time working, or he should have fixed the leaking pipe or redid the kitchen floor. I can't imagine that when life is set to end that any of the things I rush to finish are even considered. In fact, I would regret having spent so much time on these silly things.
In some ways spending time getting the to do list finished helps make life easier from day to day, but if time is never made for making the day to day fun and enjoyable then what is the point?
So what are the things I need to give my time to every day and what can wait? I suppose it is family, friends, my interests. Work needs a certain amount of time, since it is something you will be doing for many years and finding ways to make it easier and more fun will be a huge benefit in the long run. I need to take care of myself mentally, physically and emotionally. That is a definite! I must find things that I enjoy.
I've spent the last 24 years in a school ever day. I've always taken classes and had studying to do. Do I actually enjoy it or do I do it because it is what I know, it makes me feel productive and I am good at it? I really don't know the answer. How would I feel if I wasn't teaching or taking a course? What else would I do? Perhaps that is an interesting thing to try to determine this year. What do I enjoy? What do I WANT to do?
Huge questions.
Now for the answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment