Friday, August 12, 2011

another day

Is life this hard for everyone or am I the special one?

Well the day started with a trip to the dealership for an oil change. Considering the new surroundings, increased traffic and high energy level of the morning Becca was pretty good. I haven't had her off leash and I can see an increase in her energy level. She's much more agitated and easy to snap. She's doing a lot of barking at people and some lunging, though her barks are usually not of the threatening kind, but other people don't know that. I'm troubled by her movement in the moment - it's not a positive thing.  I know it'll take some time to get back in the swing of things. She's probably not completely comfortable or adjusted to being here yet. She'll come along.

I then had an appointment with an allergist. He was the first to mention that mould can have adverse health effects. He also ordered a test for asthma and a general one for my immune system. I hope this mystery is solved soon.

I spent most of the day trying to get the outside of the house looking suitable. The week whacker jammed and I took to hand pulling the weeds from between the slabs on the driveway. Found a dead mouse in the place of a missing brick in the retaining wall and sadly, just left it there. I don't know what to do with it and it seemed like a circle of life situation as the flies had found joy.  Becca was very calm tied up in front with me after having jumped the side fence twice. Surprisingly the first time since we put it up. I screwed up when the neighbours came to visit. A young girl came to visit with her little nephew. She's about 13 and the boy is about 2. I didn't want him running toward Becca since I wasn't sure of her behaviour, so I asked her to walk slowly and talk to Becca. They've met several times, but the girl started to hunch over and my bully dog saw it was a sign of weakness and lunged. Her snout actually made contact through the girl claimed she did not bite her. I felt so stupid. Becca jumped again later at night at two women out for a walk. Perhaps I'm responsible for this as well, since I saw her react to their presence and I had the thought that she might jump. I couldn't shake the thought and she probably felt it...then she did it! I have to find something to say in my head to centre me and calm me and make me the assertive leader she needs. She's definitely a dominant dog. She is aggressive, but it's fear based. Regardless of the cause it's not great. She was clearly mistreated in her past house. Unlike most dogs she will lay down and sleep in her own pee - I can only imagine this is because she never learned not to, perhaps was even forced to live that way. I do love her. I bought her a dress and put a tiara on her - cutest picture ever!!!

Tomorrow is the big 10 year old birthday party. Being 28 sucks, but being 10 sounds like a better birthday party. People are being very responsive and have tons of ideas for games. I'm looking forward to the ice cream sundae bar.

I haven't done a great job at finding balance. I've been very busy and I'm not liking it. I think I'd like to go camping with Becca next week, but I'm nervous of her reactions. I also haven't gotten her to the vet for her heart worm meds, so I guess it's a horrible idea. Perhaps just really great day hikes in the woods.

Goal for tomorrow:
get the party prepping done EARLY! Take a really long walk with becca and tire her out. and RELAX!

No comments:

Post a Comment